Depending upon the country where you adopted, you may need to do a "Readoption" or an Acceptance of Foreign Adoption (domesticating a foreign order/decree). Readoption is a common term used in the adoption community and refers to the process to file your foreign adoption in the state where you reside and have it "accepted" by the state.In the majority of intercountry or international adoptions, parents simply need to file a petition with their appropriate state/county court asking the court to recognize or accept their foreign adoption decree. However, adoptions from some countries actuality (i.e. India and Philippines), actually require a full domestic adoption process (a true readoption) in addition to the foreign order.A full domestic adoption may also be required if the foreign adoption documents are insufficient or your child's immigration status requires it. Again, most foreign adoptions can be easily domesticated (given full credit or acceptance in the U.S) without an additional domestic adoption and we term this an "Acceptance."

Domesticating your foreign decree is a step many parents don't understand and until recently, few adoption agencies rarely informed adopting parents of this final process when they returned with their child.The purpose of domesticating your foreign decree is to provide full protection and rights to your child under not just federal laws, but state probate laws as well. The acceptance or readoption gives full faith and credit to the foreign decree.One of the most important aspects of this process is that the domesticated order you receive from the state will be provided to your state health department to issue a new state birth certificate, which is necessary to prove parentage in Social Security issues (death benefits, etc.) and in inheritance situations. Therefore, this is an important part of protecting and providing for your child should something happen to you or if your child needs proof of parentage (specifically a U.S. Citizen parent). Another important aspect for children brought home on an IR4 visa is that it will provide the sufficient and required documentation for US citizenship. Lastly, with some foreign adoptions, name changes are not incorporated within the foreign documents and the foreign decree does not include the name you want for your child. Therefore, with the acceptance or readoption process, a child's name can be changed as well.

Contact Us to Schedule a Consultation
Contact Us (317) 569-0770